Thursday, October 1, 2009

Its Baaaaaaaack!

No, this isn’t a self promotion piece, glorifying my first entry in nearly 3 months.

Instead, this is about the greatest game on early, that far too few people take note of.

Hockey’s back, and I for one, am willing to say, it’s about time.

Baseball has been a horrendous sport to watch this year. This season was unlike any others, as I had zero interest and practically never got interested. Typically, I’ll get dragged in, but for some reason, it never happened. Maybe its because when I see players who are 270 pounds and probably haven’t touched their toes since 150 pounds ago making almost a quarter of a billion dollars, it really ticks me off.

Now, that’s not to say hockey contracts are not outrageous, but they have the protection of a salary cap to prevent unbelievable nauseating salaries from being handed out. Until baseball adopts what the rest of the major sports in North America have, I highly doubt I’ll regain my interest. [NOTE: this sentiment is not because of the Red Sox recent skid, as a matter of fact, I went on record with multiple individuals stating in December of last year the Yankees would win the World Series in 09.]

Sure, the NFL opened up their season just under a month ago, And yes, that has greatly filled the void left over the summer when [gasp] soccer was in a lull and baseball is about as stale a month old bread, but nothing beats having games nearly every night across North America, with teams that actually can compete with one another.

Here is a brief pro vs. con list I have come up with on this, the opening night of the NHL.

Pro – Hockey’s back, and if you’re lucky enough to have a roommate, or two, who are willing the split the cost with you, you can purchase NHL Center Ice and see nearly every televised game. I, for one, love this and am chomping at the bit at the opportunity to watch 3 games a night, if the schedule permits.

Con – Barry Melrose is back. The Mullet rides the hot hand like a desperate woman looking for love at a craps table. His failure as a player translated to a failure as a coach, and his inability to learn from previous mistakes hinders him as analyst. He’s way too subjective, and has drank WAY too many cups of Crosby brand Kool-Aid. Luckily for the television audience, my next “pro” is there.

Pro – Mathew Barnaby. I had the privilege of meeting him this past May. He was easy to talk to, very down to earth, just an overall amazing athlete to meet, cause you’d never know it from his demeanor. He’s now working across from the oil-slicked mullet on most occasions, and is not afraid to put Barry in his place when he’s out of line.

Con – having to endure a season of hearing “the defending champion Penguins” any time they are mentioned. I didn’t like it when the Red Wings held the title, nor the Avalanche and Rangers, but nothing has quite the nails-on-a-chalkboard effect to me quite as well as that phrase does.

Pro – Rivalries amongst friends. I know in the close group of friends that I have, 5 teams, 2 divisions are represented. Nothing beats having bragging rights, if only for a few minutes, nights or weeks, over them. Nightly battles over the remotes, couches, what channel to watch for the next game, are at stake. Forget the cup, guys, you better win so we can listen to Doc next time.

Con – There are 20-30 Saturday night games during the season, and the Maple Leafs have games on nearly every single one of them. Thus, I’m stuck watching Leaf games on Hockey Night in Canada rather than any of the other two Eastern Canada teams. Ugh. Sure, its hockey and I should be grateful, but does the NHL really need to gift wrap optimal home games for Toronto?


Like I said, this was gonna be a short list, if I feel ambitious, I’ll add to it. Otherwise, I’ll see you in a few days.

Go Devils!

No comments: